Water flows under thin ice sheets
Depending on the year, spring-like temperatures may wait until the end of March of mid-April to appear in full force. Taughannock sheds its ice and snow and, through a gradual warming of temperatures, starts to grow a fresh coat of green once more.
In late March, the Ithaca Polar Plunge raises money for New York's Special Olympics athletes. Who doesn't love a swim in Cayuga Lake, any time of the year?
Once temperatures moderate consistently past the freezing point, the park re-opens the North Rim Trail stairs and the bottom half of the South Rim Trail, giving hikers and runners a road-free loop option once more.
Spring's last days go out with a volunteerism bang. I Love My Park Day, a statewide event held the first Saturday in May, brings volunteers into the park to help with a variety of projects to get ready for the summer ahead.
Spring Videos, Photos & News
- Signs of Spring: Trails Open! Apr 7, 2019
- Luna Moth Sighting May 31, 2018
- Biking on the Black Diamond Trail May 30, 2018
- Memorial Day Weekend at Taughannock Falls May 25, 2018
- Base Trail Closed for Scaling Work May 17, 2018
- Do You Like Piña Coladas? May 15, 2018
- Morning Glory May 9, 2018
- The Many Faces of Taughannock: Stan Stewart May 8, 2018
- Leaves On the Way May 7, 2018
- Sunny Mist May 1, 2018
- Rim Trail Stairs Open! Apr 24, 2018
- Sunrise at Taughannock Apr 9, 2018
- Ice in the Eddy Mar 19, 2018
- Rainy Taughannock from Throughout the Park May 6, 2017
- Rain and Melting Snow Mar 25, 2017